There are a few things to know when converting men’s to women’s shoe size. For a comfortable fit, what size of shoe should a woman order from a particular manufacturer? The correct answer is: It depends.
Some manufacturers provide a standard conversion chart for men’s to women’s sizes, but there is no industry standard. In addition to choosing the proper size based on length, you should factor in width as well as whether the shoe has a high or low arch.
In some cases, even though you have chosen your correct size according to length as indicated by the shoes’ sizing chart, the shoes may still feel too narrow or too wide due to other factors.
If that happens, simply try another pair until you find one that fits properly all around.
There are also other considerations depending on specific brands and styles of shoes such as:
· A wide toe box for ample room for your toes to wiggle. This reduces the risk of your pinky toe rubbing against the shoe and causing blisters or other discomfort.
· Sufficient arch support, with a slight ‘bend’ in the middle of the shoe where your foot naturally bends when you walk. If there is no arch support, your foot may over-compensate by bending in a way that causes lower back pain.
· A soft yet supportive insole that cradles your foot from heel to toe helps reduce fatigue during long periods of wear. Sometimes shoes are designed with removable insoles so you can insert custom orthotics or simply swap out old ones for new ones.
Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size in Lenght
In the US, women’s shoe sizes are about 1.5 sizes bigger than men’s. For example, a women’s size 8.5 would be almost the same as a men’s size 7.
If you want to know what your shoe size is in men’s shoes, use our shoe size chart and you’ll know how big or small your feet are in comparison to men’s shoes.
Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size in Width
Americans use letters to tell shoe width. The smallest width is AAAA. After that, the letters are AAA, AA, A, B, C, D and E. The average woman’s size is a B width while the average man’s size is a D width.
There’s also 2E and 3E, up to 6E. But most people stay in the same letter category when they change to men’s shoes or women’s shoes because not everyone has feet that are exactly alike.
Still, depending on the structure of her feet, a woman may need to go down half a size for the right width. But there are more things to think about in order to find the right shoes. You should consider other things like heel height ankle area and toe box.
Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size Conversion Chart
|Europe||UK||US and Canada|
Shoe Sizing System in Other Countries
If you want to know how a shoe fits, there is a way to measure it. You can find the size of the shoe on its length and width. In other countries, people will use either inches or centimeters.
The chart above shows what you need to do if you live in the US or UK and Europe since different countries have different sizes for men and women.
When to Use the Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size Chart
The best way to know if new shoes will fit well is to try them on in the store. They might not fit right, but you can take them back to get a different size. If you buy shoes online, it’s just different.
When you do this, take your measurements and find the opposite gender’s shoe size based on the chart. Shoes are made differently by brands so they will be different sizes even if they are the same type of shoe.
So when buying shoes online, order at least two pairs and try each one on for size before choosing which pair you want. Check out the best online shoe stores.
How to Convert Women’s Shoe Size to Men’s
The easiest way to convert a women’s shoe size to a man’s size is by using conversion charts. To do this, subtract 1.5 points from the woman’s size. A woman with a shoe size of 10.5 would have a man’s shoe size of 9, and a man with a shoe size of 7 would have a woman’s shoe size of 8.5.
If you are confused about shoe width letters, you may want to check out a Shoe Width Chart.
Common Women’s to Men’s Shoe Sizes
Women’s Size 7 in Men’s
A woman’s size 7 is men’s size 5.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
7.5 Women’s to Men’s
A woman’s size 7.5 is men’s size 6. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Women’s Size 8 in Men’s
A woman’s size 8 is men’s size 6.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
8.5 Women’s to Men’s
A woman’s size 8.5 is men’s size 7. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Woman’s Size 9 in Men’s
A woman’s size 9 is men’s size 7.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
9.5 Women’s to Men’s
A woman’s size 9.5 is men’s size 8. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Wome’s Size 10 in Men’s
A woman’s size 10 is men’s size 8.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Read Also: Average Shoe Size for Men.
Common Men’s to Women’s Shoe Sizes
Men’s Size 6 in Women’s
A men’s size 6 is women’s size 7.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Men’s Size 7 in Women’s
A men’s size 7 is women’s size 8.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Men’s size 8 in Women’s
A men’s size 8 is women’s size 9.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Men’s Size 9 in Women’s
A men’s size 9 is women’s size 10.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Men’s Size 10 in Women’s
A men’s size 10 is women’s size 11.5. It’s generally a 1.5 size difference.
Why Are Women’s Shoe Sizes Different than Men’s
Women wear different-sized shoes from men because they have different physiques. Women are typically smaller than men and their feet are smaller, too.
Can Men Wear Women’s Shoes
Yes, men can wear women’s shoes. But they are usually tight and small. Men’s shoe sizes are smaller than women’s shoe size by 1.5 to 2 points. Narrow-footed men may find it more comfortable to wear unisex designs made for women that fit them better.
How to Measure Your Feet
· For best results, have someone else measure your foot for you. You can do it yourself if need be, but there are a few things to keep in mind when measuring yourself: It is not recommended that you do this barefoot because measurements will be different depending on the thickness of your socks or stockings.
Your foot tends to swell throughout the day so you should always measure at the end of the day when your feet are largest.
If possible, have someone else mark down your measurement while you are standing up so they know where to start measuring from. Be sure you’re wearing the type of socks or stockings that you would normally wear with the shoes in question.
· If your shoe size falls between two width categories (i.e. – ‘N’ and ‘M’), it is recommended that you select the larger of the two sizes because feet naturally spread as they age.
· To ensure that your foot fits properly into the shoe’s toe box, leave about half an inch of space at the front and back of your foot when measuring length. Keep in mind that even though this would be enough room for most people to wear their shoes with adequate comfort, some manufacturers will a larger size if the shoes are specifically designed for bunions or hammertoes.
How to measure the width of your foot:
· For best results, sit in a chair with both feet flat against the ground and cross one leg over the other so that you are sitting on top of your ankle.
· Hold the measuring tape parallel to the floor and place it across your foot beginning at the end nearest your big toe. If you’re using a piece of paper rather than a ruler, mark where it intersects with your foot’s two main arches then use this as a general guide when comparing different brands’ sizing charts.
How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for wide feet:
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for wide feet. Some of the most common features to look for include:
· A fabric lining or leather foot bed that is lined with a breathable material such as mesh or perforated leather which allows your feet to breathe.
· Seamless insoles made from a non-irritating material such as latex foam.
· Extra cushioning in the ball of the foot and hollows just below each heel for shock absorption and extra space inside the shoe’s toe box.
How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for high arches:
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for high arches. Some of the most common features to look for include:
· A curved arch that helps hold your foot in place while walking.
· Lateral support beams that help maintain a consistent width from heel to toe and cradle your feet on either side of their centerline.
· Shock-absorbent soles made from high quality foam or rubber compound.
How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for flat feet:
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for flat feet. Some of the most common features to look for include:
· An anatomical cutout in the insole (usually found along the forward edge) reduces pressure on sensitive areas, allowing your feet to more naturally conform to the shape of the shoes.
· Extra cushioning along the outside edge or insole of shoes that are specifically designed for flat feet.
· An arch support which will prevent your foot from sliding forward while walking and provide extra space inside shoes’ toe boxes.
· Heavily cushioned insoles with some firmness on the bottom which helps keep your arches lifted while walking.
How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for narrow feet:
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for narrow feet. Some of the most common features to look for include:
· A higher instep (the arch right below the ankle) which creates a natural barrier to prevent your feet from sliding forward, especially during periods of intense activity such as running or extensive walking.
· A slightly shorter and narrower toe box (the part of the shoe that covers and surrounds your toes). This is usually enough to expand shoes’ widths by up to two sizes while maintaining their original length.
· Narrower heels with an extra deep hollow just above each heel for extra space inside shoes’ toe boxes.
When you find a pair of shoes that you really like, but they are for the opposite sex, use this chart to find out your size. Men’s shoe sizes are about 1.5 points smaller than women’s, but the widths are roughly the same. Although, women’s shoes might be a little bit narrower. Try on or order at least two pairs before buying them if they are online so you can pick the best fit.