There are a few things that you need to understand when converting men’s to women’s shoe sizes. For a comfortable fit, which shoe size should a woman order from a particular manufacturer? The correct answer is: It depends.
As someone who has worked in the shoe industry for many years, I can attest to the fact that the correct shoe size can vary depending on the manufacturer. Nike, Adidas, and New Balance will have slight differences when it comes to their footwear sizing.
While some companies provide a standard conversion chart, there is no industry-wide standard.
Understanding the nuances of converting men’s to women’s shoe sizes can make all the difference in finding the ideal fit. And I’m here to help guide you through the process!
- Understanding Shoe Size Conversion
- Why You Might Need to Convert Women’s Shoe Size to Men’s Shoe Size?
- How to Measure Your Foot for Shoe Size?
- Narrow, Regular, or Wide: Understanding Shoe Widths
- Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size in Lenght
- Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size in Width
- Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size Conversion Chart
- When to Use the Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size Chart?
- How to Convert Women’s Shoe Sizes to Men’s?
- Common Women’s to Men’s Shoe Sizes
- Common Men’s to Women’s Shoe Sizes
- Differences Between Men’s and Women’s Shoe Sizes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Understanding Shoe Size Conversion
Even for someone who is experienced like me, shoe size conversions can be a confusing and frustrating process, especially when converting between men’s and women’s sizes.
With no industry standard in place, manufacturers may use different sizing charts, resulting in discrepancies between sizes.
Understanding shoe size conversion is essential for finding the perfect fit for your feet. Here are some important points to keep in mind:
- Different countries use different shoe size systems.
- Shoe size conversion is not an exact science, and there is no universal standard.
- It is important to factor in width and arch support when choosing a shoe size, as well as the shape of the shoe itself.
- A shoe may fit perfectly in terms of length but feel too narrow or too wide due to various factors.
- Trying on shoes is the best way to ensure a proper fit.
- If you are purchasing shoes online, check the return policy in case you need to exchange them for a different size.
- Some important considerations when choosing shoes include a wide toe box for ample room for your toes to wiggle, sufficient arch support, and a soft yet supportive insole that cradles your foot from heel to toe.
- Sometimes shoes are designed with custom insoles, affecting the sizing.
- It is also helpful to know your foot measurements in both inches and centimeters, as well as your shoe size in multiple systems, to make the conversion process easier.
Also, don’t forget about socks! When trying on shoes, wear the type of socks you plan to wear with the shoes to ensure a proper fit.
Plus, before buying shoes from a foreign brand, I highly suggest that you research their sizing system and read reviews from other customers to see if their shoes run large or small!
Why You Might Need to Convert Women’s Shoe Size to Men’s Shoe Size?
As a woman who occasionally shops for shoes in the men’s section, I understand the confusion that can arise when trying to convert women’s shoe sizes to men’s shoe sizes. However, there are several reasons why someone might need to make this conversion.
1. Limited Options
Sometimes, the style or color of a shoe that you want is only available in the men’s section. This could be because the shoe is marketed towards men or because of limited inventory in the women’s section. Buying men’s shoes in smaller sizes is always an option!
2. Different Sizing Systems
Women’s and men’s shoe sizes are based on different sizing systems, which can make it difficult to find the right fit. Men’s shoe sizes are typically larger than women’s, and the sizing systems are not directly comparable.
3. Better Fit
Depending on the style of the shoe and the shape of your foot, a men’s shoe might provide a better fit than a women’s shoe. Men’s shoes are often wider and have more arch support, which can be beneficial for people with wider feet or higher arches.
4. Cost Savings
Depending on the occasion and brands, men’s shoes may become less expensive than women’s shoes. By converting my size to men’s, I can save money without sacrificing style or quality.
I know that it may seem daunting at first, but with the help of conversion charts and proper measuring, you can navigate the world of men’s shoes with confidence!
How to Measure Your Foot for Shoe Size?
Based on my experience of years of measuring feet for shoe size conversion, I highly recommend having someone else measure your foot for the best results. However, if you need to measure yourself, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t measure barefoot, as measurements will vary based on the thickness of your socks or stockings.
- Measure at the end of the day when your feet are largest, as they tend to swell throughout the day.
- If possible, have someone mark down your measurement while you are standing up in the socks or stockings you plan to wear with the shoes.
- When selecting a size, keep in mind that feet naturally spread as they age, so if your size falls between two width categories, it’s recommended to select the larger sizes.
To ensure proper fit, leave about half an inch of space at the front and back of your foot when measuring length. However, some manufacturers may recommend a larger size for shoes designed for bunions or hammertoes.
1. How to measure the width of your foot?
- For best results, sit in a chair with both feet flat against the ground and cross one leg over the other so that you are sitting on top of your ankle.
- Hold the measuring tape parallel to the floor and place it across your foot, beginning at the end nearest your big toe.
- If you’re using a piece of paper rather than a ruler, mark where it intersects with your foot’s two main arches, then use this as a general guide when comparing different brands’ sizing charts.
2. How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for wide feet?
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for wide feet. Some of the most common features to look for include the following:
- A fabric lining or leather footbed that is lined with breathable material, such as mesh or perforated leather, allows your feet to breathe.
- Seamless insoles that use a non-irritating material, such as latex foam.
- Extra cushioning in the ball of the foot and hollows just below each heel for shock absorption and extra space inside the shoe’s toe box.
3. How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for high arches?
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for high arches. Some of the most common features to look for include the following:
- A curved arch that helps hold your foot in place while walking.
- Lateral support beams; help maintain a consistent width from heel to toe and cradle your feet on either side of their centerline.
- Shock-absorbent soles with high-quality foam or rubber compound.
4. How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for flat feet?
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for flat feet. Some of the most common features to look for include:
- An anatomical cutout in the insole (usually found along the forward edge) reduces pressure on sensitive areas, allowing your feet to conform more naturally to the shape of the shoes.
- Extra cushioning along the outside edge or insole of shoes that are specifically designed for flat feet.
- An arch support that will prevent your foot from sliding forward while walking and provide extra space inside shoes’ toe boxes.
- Heavily cushioned insoles with some firmness on the bottom, which helps keep your arches lifted while walking.
5. How to find out if shoes are roomy enough for narrow feet?
Most manufacturers provide information about their shoes’ construction and whether they’re designed for narrower feet.
- A higher instep (the arch right below the ankle) which creates a natural barrier to prevent your feet from sliding forward, especially during periods of intense activity such as running or extensive walking.
- A slightly shorter and narrower toe box (the part of the shoe that covers and surrounds your toes). This is usually enough to expand shoes’ widths by up to two sizes while maintaining their original length.
- Narrower heels with an extra deep hollow just above each heel for extra space inside shoes’ toe boxes.
You might also like:
- International Shoe Size Conversion Chart: U.S. to EU and UK
- Are Fila Shoes True to Size
- Peloton Shoe Sizing: Chart and Sizes
- Birkenstock Size Chart Guide
- What Size Shoes Do 1 Year Olds Wear?
- Blundstone Size Chart Guide
Narrow, Regular, or Wide: Understanding Shoe Widths
Shoe widths are an important factor to consider when shopping for shoes. Understanding your foot’s width and how it corresponds to shoe width categories can help you find the perfect fit.
Here’s a breakdown of the different shoe width categories and what they mean:
Narrow shoes are designed for feet that are slimmer than average. They are typically marked with the letter “N” and are narrower than the standard shoe width. If you have narrow feet, you may experience slipping or discomfort in shoes that are too wide.
Regular or standard shoe widths are designed to fit most feet. They are typically marked with the letter “M” and are wider than narrow shoes. If you’re not sure what shoe width to choose, start with a regular width and adjust as needed.
Wide shoes are designed for feet that are wider than average. They are typically marked with the letters “W” or “E” and are wider than the standard shoe width. If you have wide feet, you may experience pinching or discomfort in shoes that are too narrow.
It’s important to note that shoe width can vary between different shoe brands and styles. Some brands may offer multiple-width options, while others may only offer one width.
Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size in Lenght
In the US, women’s shoe sizes are about 1.5 sizes bigger than men’s. For example, a women’s size 8.5 would be almost the same as a men’s size 7.
If you want to know what your shoe size is in men’s shoes, use our shoe size chart, and you’ll know how big or small your feet are in comparison to men’s shoes.
Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size in Width
Americans use letters to tell shoe width. The smallest width is AAAA. After that, the letters are AAA, AA, A, B, C, D, and E. The average woman’s size is a B width, while the average man’s size is a D width.
There’s also 2E and 3E, up to 6E. But most people stay in the same letter category when they change to men’s shoes or women’s shoes because not everyone has feet that are exactly alike.
Still, depending on the structure of her feet, a woman may need to go down half a size for the right width. But there are more things to think about in order to find the right shoes. You should consider other things like heel height, ankle area, and toe box.
Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size Conversion Chart
Shoe Sizing System in Other Countries
If you want to know how a shoe fits, there is a way to measure it. You can find the size of the shoe on its length and width. In other countries, people will use either inches or centimeters.
The chart above shows what you need to do if you live in the US or UK and Europe since different countries have different sizes for women and men. European sizes generally are easier because they tend to be unified, while US and UK are slightly different.
When to Use the Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size Chart?
The best way to know if new shoes will fit well is to try them on in the store. They might not fit right, but you can take them back to get a different size. If you buy shoes online, it’s just different.
When you do this, take your measurements and find the opposite gender’s shoe size based on the chart. As I’ve said before, shoes are made differently by brands, so they will be different sizes even if they are the same type of shoe.
So when buying shoes online, order at least two pairs and try each one on for size before choosing which pair you want. Check out the best online shoe stores.
You might also like:
- Do Adidas Run Big, Small or True to Size?
- Does New Balance Run Big or Small or True to Size?
- Italian Shoe Size to the U.S.
- Average Shoe Size for Men
- Do Converse Run Big or Small or True to Size?
How to Convert Women’s Shoe Sizes to Men’s?
The easiest way to convert a women’s shoe size to a man’s size is by using conversion charts. To do this, as I’ve said earlier, subtract 1.5 points from the woman’s size.
A woman with a shoe size of 10.5 would have a man’s shoe size of 9, and a man with a shoe size of 7 would have a woman’s shoe size of 8.5.
If you are a woman with a shoe size of 10.5 and want to buy a men’s shoe, the equivalent size that you need to choose is 9. On the other hand, if you find a pair of men’s shoes in size 7, then those shoes will fit a woman whose size is 8.5.
If you are confused about shoe width letters, you may want to check out a Shoe Width Chart. Alternatively, you can use a shoe size conversion calculator online or through apps!
Common Women’s to Men’s Shoe Sizes
- A woman’s size 7 is a men’s size 5.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A woman’s size 7.5 is men’s size 6. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A woman’s size 8 is a men’s size 6.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A woman’s size 8.5 is a men’s size 7. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A woman’s size 9 is a men’s size 7.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A woman’s size 9.5 is a men’s size 8. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A woman’s size 10 is a men’s size 8.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
Read Also: Average Shoe Size for Men
Common Men’s to Women’s Shoe Sizes
- A men’s size 6 is a women’s size 7.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A men’s size 7 is a women’s size 8.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A men’s size 8 is a women’s size 9.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A men’s size 9 is a women’s size 10.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
- A men’s size 10 is a women’s size 11.5. It’s generally a 1.5-size difference.
Differences Between Men’s and Women’s Shoe Sizes
|Men’s Shoe Sizes||Women’s Shoe Sizes|
|Sizing||Roughly 1.5 sizes larger||Roughly 1.5 sizes smaller|
|Witdh||Generally wider||Generally narrower|
|Toe box||Square or slightly pointed||Rounded|
When you find a pair of shoes that you really like, but they are for the opposite sex, use this chart to find out your preferred size. Men’s shoe sizes are about 1.5 points smaller than women’s, but the widths are roughly the same.
Although, women’s shoes might be a little bit narrower. Try on or order at least two pairs before buying them if they are online so you can pick the best fit. In any case, I believe that buying men’s shoes for women is tricky but fun!
- Expert Guide: 5 Proven Methods of How to Clean White Shoes
- How To Clean Hiking Boots: 6 Easy Steps, Tips & Advanced Care
- How To Clean White Soles Without Damaging Them!
- Quick & Easy: How to Clean White Adidas Shoes
- How To Clean Nike Shoes With Mesh (Best Guides)
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are women’s shoe sizes different than men’s?
Women wear different-sized shoes from men because they have different physiques. Women are typically smaller than men, and their feet are smaller, too.
Can men wear women’s shoes?
Yes, men can wear women’s shoes. But they are usually tight and small. Men’s shoe sizes are smaller than women’s shoe sizes by 1.5 to 2 points. Narrow-footed men may find it more comfortable to wear unisex designs made for women that fit them better. Please keep in mind that gender-inclusive designs are not always equal to gender-neutral shoe sizing. Unisex shoes may still have different sizing for men and women.
How do I ensure proper fit when converting shoe size?
When it comes to converting shoe sizes, I always make sure to take steps to ensure a proper fit! Usually, I start by measuring my feet, just like I’ve explained above. Then I check the size chart. Of course, you’ll need to take the shoe style into account as well. Whenever it is possible, I also try the shoe on directly. And lastly, reading other people’s reviews and opinions regarding the sizing will help a lot!
What are the most common shoe sizing problems, and how do I solve them?
Here are some of the most common shoe sizing problems and how to solve them!
- Different sizes for each foot. To solve this problem, try on shoes in both sizes and choose the larger size. In some cases, you may need to purchase two different sizes and use insoles or heel pads for a better fit.
- Shoes that rub or chafe. To solve this problem, try adjusting the laces or straps to create a better fit so that your feet do not get blisters.
- Shoes that slip off the heel. Try a heel grip or heel liner to create a better fit. Also, adjust the strap or the buckle.
- Shoes that are too tight. To solve this problem, try going up a half or full size. Also, consider shoes with a wider width or stretchy material.
- Shoes that are too loose. To solve this problem, try going down a half or full size. Additionally, consider shoes with a narrower width or add insoles or heel pads for a better fit.
What is the importance of trying shoes on before you buy?
Trying shoes on allows you to ensure that the shoes fit properly, feel comfortable, and provide adequate support. It also allows you to assess the shoe’s overall quality and durability before making a purchase. Skipping this step can lead to discomfort, blisters, and even foot problems in the long run. Therefore, I always recommend that you take the time to try the shoes on before making a purchase.