Ugg boots have been a trend for many years now, with almost everyone owning at least one pair of these popular sheepskin boots. Apart from being a fashion staple, these boots are also the preferred choice for those who live in colder climates. The thick sheepskin keeps your feet warm once the temperature drops below zero.
While Ugg boots are considered to be very durable and practical for those who are living in cold regions, there is one major concern of the owners of these stylish, yet functional boots: can these shoes withstand the effects of moisture and water?
Designed to keep the feet warm in temperatures as low as -30 degrees, these boots contain natural wool that can wick away moisture to a certain extent.
However, Ugg boots have not been designed to be waterproof. Just like other sheepskin footwear out there, Uggs are not made to withstand rain and excessive precipitation. This means that wearing your Uggs in the rain or snow can permanently stain the soft sheepskin and damage the boots.
Features of UGG Boots
Ugg boots are designed for providing comfort and warmth in cold climates. However, one of the features that set Ugg boots apart from all the rest is that they have been manufactured with a sheepskin lining that keeps your feet comfortable.
These boots also include premium suede outer, which makes you look good while you keep your feet warm. The Ugg boots feature high-quality rubberized or synthetic soles to offer better traction and grip while walking on uneven or slippery surfaces.
Waterproofing UGG Boots
Are Ugg boots waterproof? The answer is yes and no. That’s mainly because Ugg boots come in both types. Some Ugg boot designs, such as Ugg rain boots or Ugg snow boots, have been properly insulated to withstand rain, while normal Uggs cannot do so and will get damaged if they come in contact with rain or snow.
In other words, if you’re lucky enough to own a pair of these chic boots, you will have to waterproof them first before you can go dancing in the rain. Lucky for you, we have found the best ways you can go about waterproofing your Ugg boots. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
When you think about waterproofing Ugg boots, the first thing that you must keep in mind is the unique combination of materials that have been used during the manufacturing process. For instance, a big part of the Ugg boot’s design and appearance is because of its premium quality suede, which is a form of leather.
Suede is the underside of the animal’s hide that gives the boots their unique appearance, as compared to the outer layer of the animal hides that are used to make normal leather shoes.
The animal hide is then properly sanded and rubbed to raise the fibers, which is what gives suede shoes that easily-recognizable appearance.
While the suede might be smooth and flexible, it is considered to be far softer as compared to the other forms of leather that are used in the manufacturing of shoes. Another key feature of suede shoes is that, unlike normal leather that can be easily cleaned, the stains of suede shoes tend to be far more difficult to remove.
What makes matters worse is that the suede outer is not only stained by the usual suspects such as oil, slush, food, and grease. Water is also capable of damaging it.
This is why people who use Ugg boots where it rains a lot tend to purchase waterproof Uggs or snow Uggs. But for those who live in warm and dry climates, there is a way of making your normal Uggs waterproof as well so that you can wear them outside during a drizzle without having to bother about your Uggs getting stained or your feet getting wet.
Another reason why you should waterproof your Uggs as soon as you get them (if there are not waterproof already) is that it can make the Uggs last longer.
This is one of the main reasons why most people prefer to waterproof their Ugg boots as soon as they purchase them. While Ugg boots are sturdy, flexible, and versatile, making these boots waterproof as well can add quite a few years to the boots which is a nice bonus considering the price you paid for them.
How to Waterproof UGG Boots
Unless you haven’t bought one of those $30 Ugg knockoffs, you will want to make sure that your Uggs can go the distance. While Ugg boots have been designed to be sturdy and flexible, the one area where they leave something to be desired is their ability to insulate against the water.
This is especially true if you have gone and bought normal Uggs. The good news is that there is a way you can make sure that your Ugg boots can resist any damage caused by rain or snow, and that’s by waterproofing the boots. The following are some of the things that you need to keep in mind when trying to waterproof your Ugg boots at home.
You might also like:
- How to Stop Leather Boots from Squeaking
- Say Goodbye to Sticky Shoes: How To Get Gum Off Shoes
- How to Dry Shoes in the Dryer
- How to Blouse Your Boots
- How to Remove Creases from Shoes
1. Invest in a Good Waterproofing Protectant
By far, the best way to make sure that your Ugg boots are protected against rain, snow, and ice is by using a waterproofing agent. Investing in a good quality waterproofing protectant for your Ugg boots is a good way to ensure that your Ugg boots can withstand water and that they last longer as compared to those Ugg boots that have not been waterproofed.
While buying Uggs, most people don’t consider purchasing the waterproofing spray that’s on the shelf right next to the Uggs. If you want to make sure that your Ugg boots are waterproof, the best way to do that is by getting the Uggs brand waterproofing spray from the same store you purchased the Uggs from.
Getting the waterproofing spray of the Uggs brand ensures that you get the right stuff for the job and not just any waterproofing spray that could damage or stain your boots.
For those who want to make their normal Ugg boots waterproof, getting the branded waterproofing spray from Uggs is the right way to go.
That being said, it is not entirely necessary to get the waterproofing spray of the same brand as your footwear. Many footwear brands offer waterproofing spray for their boots, which means that people often have to purchase the waterproofing spray separately.
But since the UGGS brand also sells a waterproofing spray, getting one from the Uggs brand will ensure that the material of the boots is not damaged. Since the Uggs brand knows exactly how to clean or make their boots waterproof, what better way to make sure you get more bang for your buck?
2. Applying the Spray
If you’ve already purchased your Ugg boots but forgot to get the spray, then you’ll just have to purchase it online and wait for it to arrive in the mail or make another trip to the same store you purchased your boots from and get the Ugg waterproofing spray.
Once you get the spray, you need to make sure that you follow the instructions to the T. The Ugg waterproofing spray has the directions written on the bottle so there should be no problem for you to find it.
One of the biggest mistakes that many folks make when waterproofing their Uggs is that they do not follow the recommendations that are given on the waterproofing spray entirely.
For instance, some people are just so excited to get outside and splash in the puddles and make a snowman that they don’t give time for the solution that they’ve sprayed on the boots to dry out properly.
As a result, the spray is not able to protect the boots against water or moisture. To make sure the waterproofing spray can work its magic you need to let the solution on the boots dry properly.
This could take anywhere between two to 24 hours. While we know you’ll be fighting the urge to slip on your Uggs and run outside just after you’ve applied the spray, you will end up having to pay the price (of new Uggs) for being impatient.
Read Also: How to Prevent Creasing in Shoes
Cleaning the UGGs
Did we mention that the spray is going to be a permanent solution to waterproofing your Ugg boots? But, before you start, you will have to make sure that there aren’t any stains on your boots or else they will become a permanent fixture once the boots are sprayed. To make sure that doesn’t happen all you have to do is clean the Uggs properly before applying the waterproofing spray.
All you need to clean the boots is a suede brush, a clean cloth (preferably cotton), cold water, and a Suede cleaner.
What to Do?
- Remove Dirt and Debris –To get started, you will have to brush the Uggs thoroughly to remove any dirt and debris that are stuck to the surface of the suede. Due to the fiber content of the suede, this might take a while.
- Wipe the Suede with a Damp Cloth — Soak the cotton cloth in water and gently wipe the suede evenly. Make sure to wring out the water before you start wiping.
- Apply the Suede Cleaner – Take a sponge and dip in cold water. Apply the suede cleaner on the sponge and apply it to the suede.
- Leave to Dry — Once the cleaner has been spread evenly on the suede, you need to leave it to dry for about 48 hours before applying the waterproof spray.
- Spread the cleaner evenly on the suede to get a uniform effect.
- Make sure the boots have dried properly before applying the waterproofing spray. Keep the boots away from direct sunlight and heat while it dries.
- You can stuff the boots with newspaper so that it holds its shape while drying.
Applying the Waterproofing Spray
Now that you have cleaned the Uggs boots properly and have left them to dry for 48 hours, it’s time to apply the Uggs waterproofing spray. The good news is, this is going to be the easy part. All you will need is a clean suede brush and a waterproofing spray, preferably the Uggs brand waterproofing spray.
What to Do?
- Brush the Boots — Before you start to spray the boots, you should remove any dirt and debris that may have gone on the suede while it was drying. To do that, take a simple suede brush and remove any debris or dirt from the suede outer.
- Spray the Boots — Now shake the bottle thoroughly so that the solution inside is mixed. Then spray evenly throughout the suede outer of the boots.
- Allow the Boots to Dry — To make sure your efforts of waterproofing your Ugg boots have not been wasted, leave the boots to dry for at least 48 hours. You can check on them after 24 hours to see if they are completely dry. The amount of time it takes for the waterproofing spray on the suede to dry will depend on the weather outside and the temperature inside the house.
- While using the waterproof spray be sure to keep a distance of at least 6 inches between the spray nozzle and the Uggs.
- The boots should be wet with the waterproofing spray, and not soaking.
- The boots should be kept to dry for at least 24 to 48 hours to make sure they are completely dry.
- Brush the suede boots lightly in one direction to restore the nap.
There are also different types of UGGs that are waterproof already and you can wear them comfortably in the rain.
- Do Adidas Run Big, Small or True to Size?
- What Size Shoes Do 1 Year Olds Wear Worldwide?
- How to Walk Without Creasing Shoes: 10++ Tips and Tricks
- What Does GS Mean in Shoes (Also TD, PS & BG)?
- Unveiling the Truth: What’s the Real Average Shoe Size for Men?
Nothing can be more upsetting than watching your expensive Uggs get destroyed simply because you were careless enough to wear them out in the rain.
However, the good news is that there is a way to waterproof your Ugg boots so that they can be worn in the snow, ice, or rain without damaging the sheepskin.
Another reason you would want to waterproof your Uggs is that these boots come with a high price tag. The last thing you would want is for your Ugg boots to get damaged in the rain because you forgot to waterproof them.
Keeping that in mind, the aforementioned tips should come in handy for those Ugg enthusiasts who are looking for an easy and inexpensive way of making their Uggs waterproof to protect them in the rain.