There are a lot of sneakers made by various brands. Yes, there’s the Nikes and Adidas of the world, but New Balance sneakers always feel special to me. They are really underrated. They might not be as cool as the other big boys, but we can’t deny that they have awesome sneakers designs.
If you do own a pair of New Balance sneakers, you’ll know that they feel really comfortable in your feet. As a matter of fact, people who own New Balance sneakers like I are people who prefer comfort more than style. Still, it doesn’t mean that we should let them get dirty with mud or dust. That’s the reason why I’m going to share some cool secrets and tips in order to keep your New Balance sneakers in top shape.
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT NEW BALANCE SHOES?
Have you ever wondered why New Balance can stay and become one of the leading manufacturers for sneakers? Well, the same can be said for me as well, so I have done some research and digging to find out what’s so special about New Balance shoes, and the result is quite satisfying.
While other brands are trying to keep up with the modern fashion style and opted with techno-inspired style designs, New Balance tried to stick to their roots and use classic and traditional designs that have been used for decades. Yes, it might not generate as many consumers as you’d want, but New Balance succeeded in attracting a number of shoe lovers who like retro style or designs.
Since its inception, New Balance never tried to promote their shoes by using endorsement and minimizing that trick as little as possible. However, it resulted in a lot of organic endorsement by artists all around the world. Just look at how cool Brad Pitt, Timothee Chalamet, and Sadio Mane were when they wore New Balance sneakers!
WHY ARE NEW BALANCE SHOES SO COMFORTABLE?
New Balance sneakers are never about the appearance, and their loyal fans know this (it doesn’t mean that their shoes are hideous!). Instead, New Balance chose to produce shoes that are really comfortable to wear.
From my own experience, I find out that most New Balance sneakers feel so soft and comfortable for your feet. Therefore, you won’t feel tired when walking with these pair of shoes. Moreover, New Balance shoes also have a thick midsole that makes them shock-absorbent. They also have a wide toe box to give more breathing space for your foot. I can also say that their shoes are normally equipped with footbeds that are really comfortable and nice.
HOW SHOULD I CLEAN MY NEW BALANCE SHOES ACCORDING TO NEW BALANCE’S ADVICE?
When I decided to write this article, I had a set of tricks in my mind that could be used to clean a pair of dirty New Balance shoes. However, it’ll be nice if we learn from the producer of the products first!
Before reading through the instructions, let’s prepare the necessary items to clean your Converse:
- Light bristle brush
- Damp cloth
- Mild detergent that has been mixed inside a bucket of water. Use a dye-free detergent.
According to their website, here’s a simple way that you can do to clean your sneakers:
- Prepare the necessary items that I have put out before.
- Put the brush inside the mixture and scrub it across the shoe. Make sure to scrub carefully in order to prevent any damage to the shoe.
- After you have covered the whole shoe with your brush, make sure to wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
- Dry the shoes by leaving it for a full day (yep, 24 hours).
- If you smell something unpleasant, you can use a shoe deodorizer spray to eliminate bad odor.
It’s also important to note that New Balance doesn’t recommend you to clean their sneakers with any washing machine. I totally agree with this precaution. If you want to use this method, please proceed at your own risk.
OTHER METHOD TO CLEAN NEW BALANCE SHOES
There are a lot of ways to clean your favorite New Balance sneakers. Although New Balance has put out their own recommendations for cleaning their products, I still have my own trick that you can try!
A. CLEANING KITS NEEDED AND THEIR FUNCTION
- ShoeCleaner: A special shoe detergent needed to clean your favorite and precious New Balance sneakers.
- Apron: Not an obligatory item, but it will come in handy when we’re talking about keeping your shirt clean while washing your New Balance sneakers.
- Premium Brush: Used to clean the upper part of your New Balance shoes that is usually made up of canvas, suede, leather, synthetic leather, mesh, knit, nubuck, and many more.
- Medium Brush: Used to clean your New Balance sneaker’s midsole section.
- Standard Brush: Used to clean your sneaker’s outsole section.
- Small Brush or Toothbrush: This type of brush will come in handy when it comes to cleaning the inner part of your New Balance sneakers that is usually hard to reach.
- Microfiber Cloth: Used to wipe sneakers clean from dirt and stains.
- Shoe Tree: Essential item to keep your New Balance sneaker’s basic structure intact.
- Container/Pan: Used to store water that will be mixed with Shoe Perfume in order to generate a certain odor for your shoes.
- Shoe Perfume: You can use this to eliminate bad odor in your New Balance sneakers.
B. SECTIONS OF YOUR NEW BALANCE SNEAKERS AND REASONS TO USE CLEANING KITS FOR EACH PART
- The Upper Part of the Sneakers: As the name states, it’s the upper part of your shoe model. You need to use two different brushes to clean this part. Premium Brush will be used in order to prevent damage to the upper part of your sneakers, while a small brush will come in handy when you’re trying to wipe additional stains that are small.
- Midsole: The side sole section of a New Balance sneaker. To clean the midsole, I highly suggest you use Medium Brush, as midsoles can often get damaged and dirty due to usage.
- Outsole, or the lower part of a New Balance sneaker: To clean a sneaker’s outsole, you can use a standard brush that is strong and sturdy. This way, dirt and stains from your outsole might be cleaned easily.
- Insole: The inner part of your shoes that also acts as a cushion to make your foot more comfortable. It’s better to remove the insoles from your sneakers before cleaning them. However, don’t force it if it’s not possible. To clean the insole, you can use a premium brush as well as a toothbrush, as they can reach parts that are harder to clean.
C. HOW TO CLEAN NEW BALANCE SHOES
- Prepare the New Balance shoes that you want to clean:
A pair of New Balance shoes in dirty condition.
- Prepare the material needed to clean your sneakers:
Prepare the Shoecleaner, apron, Premium Brush, Medium Brush, Standard Brush, Small Brush, Microfiber Cloth, 2 pieces of Shoe Tree, and a container to store water and ShoePerfume.
- Remove the laces from your New Balance Sneakers:
It’s recommendable to remove the laces from your New Balance shoes. After you manage to separate them, you can soak the laces inside a water that has been mixed with Shoe Cleaner. After waiting for some time, clean it and squeeze it a bit to remove the water. Finally, you can dry it off with a microfiber cloth.
- Insert the Shoetree in your New Balance Sneakers:
This is an essential step, as a Shoetree will be important to maintain the shape of your New Balance sneaker when it’s being washed. However, make sure to remove the insole before inserting a Shoetree.
- Dry-clean the Sneakers
Before washing the New Balance with water, we need to brush the upper part and midsole with a premium brush to wipe off debris and dirt that is often found on the shoes.
- Wash the Outsole and Midsole
During this cleaning stage, you can use a Standard Brush. Make sure to use all your strength when cleaning the outsole, as it’s naturally the dirtiest part of a shoe.
As soon as you have finished cleaning the outsole, you can proceed by cleaning the midsole with a Medium Brush. This time, patience and diligence are needed, as there will be a lot of dirty spots that are hard to clean.
- Wash Your New Balance’s Insole
If possible, make sure to remove the insole from your New Balance sneaker. Then, proceed to brush the insole with a Premium brush and wait until it dries off before inserting it back inside the sneaker.
Note: Don’t force to remove the insole, as some New Balance sneakers were made with their insoles glued to the shoes. When you force it out, it will definitely damage your precious item.
- Wash the Outer-Upper Part of your New Balance sneakers
Use the Premium Brush to wash the upper part of your sneaker in order to prevent any damage to your shoe. When cleaning the outer-upper part of your sneaker, make sure to do it carefully! Shortly afterwards, you may wipe it with microfiber cloth by gently tapping it to the shoes and letting water get absorbed.
You can also use a small brush to clean the narrow space inside the New Balance sneakers that are hard to reach. After the brushing is over, you can proceed by wiping it with a microfiber cloth. You can actually use a Premium Brush, but don’t force it if the space inside the shoes is too narrow.
Use a wet microfiber cloth to clean out dirty parts that are located on your New Balance’s details. You can also use it to clean the midsole and outsole section of your shoes.
- Drying Process
Dry off your shoes by using a fan. As an alternative, you can also dry it by waving your hands or placing the shoes in a cold area with minimal moisture. Try not to dry the sneakers by placing it under direct sunlight, as it can damage the glue or paint of said shoes.
Once all necessary parts are dry, then you can place the insole back inside the shoe. The same thing also goes for the laces. Now, your shoe is back in action and looks fresh again!
D. DO’S AND DON’TS
Use a protective spray when you’re using your precious New Balance
Brush the upper part of your sneakers carefully
Clean your New Balance regularly
Never leave your shoes under direct contact with the sunlight. It may damage the paint job as well as the glue inside the sneakers!
Don’t let dirt and stains pile up on your shoes
The path to keeping your New Balance in great shape doesn’t stop once you have managed to make your shoes look as good as new. As a matter of fact, it’ll be a continuous journey that requires dedication and effort. Here are some tricks that you should do in order to preserve your shoes’ condition.
- Don’t keep them in a moist area.
- Clean them after usage. Do this regularly in order to avoid dirt and stains to pile up and become hard to clean.
- Do not store your socks inside the shoe. This is essential as socks may produce a bad odor to your shoes.
- Avoid using your New Balance in bad weather or on challenging terrain.
- Make sure that you know the material used to make your shoes in order to be more careful when cleaning them.
Don’t leave this page yet, as there are some more knowledge that I can pass to you. I hope that these tips can prove to be beneficial when you’re dealing with your New Balance shoes. After all, some of these tips are earned through past experiences!
- Avoid using a machine wash when it comes to dealing with your New Balance shoes. It might not be a guarantee that using a laundry machine might break your shoes, but you might not want to risk it, right?
- No direct contact with the sunlight please. If you want to dry your shoes, make sure to leave them in a room and in front of a fan.
- Use strength only when you’re trying to clean your outsole. For the rest of your shoes, make sure to take your time.
- When you’re using a detergent, make sure to use a dye-free detergent. You don’t want your shoes to have a new design created by the detergent, right?
Can I put my new balance in the washing machine?
You can use a washing machine to clean your New Balance sneakers. However, as I have mentioned several times before, it isn’t a recommended method. Be mindful that your shoes’ material might not be strong enough to resist the might of a washing machine. If you’re still adamant in using the washing machine, then here goes. However, let me remind you one more time that it’s highly likely that your New Balance shoes might get damaged.
- Remove the laces from your New Balance shoes
- Put your laces in a small mesh bag, and your New Balance shoes inside a different bag. This step is necessary in order to prevent your New Balance to crash and damage other items that you’re washing.
- Put both bags inside the washing machine. Wait until the machine finished its process.
- Remove the shoes and laces from their respective bags.
- Leave them until they’re completely dry before putting the laces back on as well as storing them in their original box.
How do you wear New Balance?
You can wear New Balance shoes for different kinds of occasions. Their versatility is exactly the reason why people love New Balance. Some can be used for a sporty style, while others can be used for a casual or even a semi-formal occasion.
What age do people wear new balance?
Remember what I told you before about New Balance shoes’ versatility? Their versatility makes them a viable option to be used for people of all ages. Previously, older men love to wear New Balance sneakers. But lately, young adults have started to love New Balance sneakers as well.
New Balance might not look as tasty as Nike or Adidas sneakers, but they sure still look good. Moreover, they feel very comfortable to wear. Therefore, New Balance shoes need to be taken good care of. After all, you’d want your items to be as good-looking as possible, right?
There aren’t any special tricks needed when it comes to cleaning your New Balance. The same rules that normally apply to other sneakers can also be used when you’re trying to wipe dirt away from the New Balance sneakers. Use a Premium Brush and a mild detergent to clean your shoes, then wipe them off with a microfiber cloth before drying them in front of a fan.
Make sure to avoid some things when cleaning your shoes as well, such as leaving them under direct contact with the sunlight and rubbing the upper part with a standard brush.